It’s never too late to make a fire safety plan for your family. The following is a list of basic things you can do with your family to make sure you are prepared if a fire ever happens in your home.
- Make sure you have a home fire escape plan and if you don’t have one – make one together with your family
- Post the fire escape plan in a regularly visited space in the house
- Practice the home fire escape plan at least once a year so your children know exactly what to do if the situation of a fire arises
- Teach your children to “get low and go” if there is smoke in the room when they are trying to leave
- Make sure your children know to feel the doorknob with the back of their hand to see if there is a fire on the other side. If the doorknob is hot, do not go through the door
- Choose a place to meet outside of the home so that your family can regroup